Parent Information

Welcome to the Kishwaukee College Family!

Kishwaukee College is committed to serving our students and providing assistance for parents, guardians, and family members in an effort to support your student's success.

New students will be offered exciting opportunities in the areas of academics, athletics, clubs / organizations and more but may need to adjust to time management and transitioning to college-level work. We appreciate that you (as parents and family members) are there to provide support and encouragement throughout this process.

The College is dedicated to answering your questions, providing resources for your student’s success and helping your student pave the way to graduation. As your family experiences the college process, please continue to visit the parent webpage. Here, you will find information that will help you help your student stay connected and succeed at Kishwaukee College.


Why Kishwaukee College?

We are a quality institution of higher education providing an affordable education in an environment that is dedicated to fostering student success. Named in the top 150 community colleges in the U.S. by Aspen Institute, Kishwaukee College is the driving force behind turning student aspirations and community potential into enduring success.

What is the process for becoming a student?

Below, are the six steps to help guide students through the enrollment process.

Additional steps are required for selective academic programs including Nursing, Diesel Power Technology, and Radiology.

1. Apply for Admission (Student Information Form)

2. Apply for Financial Aid (, Kishwaukee College School Code:  007684

3. Placement Testing (scheduled through Student Services)

4. Schedule Academic Advising (scheduled through Student Services)

5. Register for Classes and Pay Tuition

6. Attend New Student Orientation:  The Kish Connection

Visit our Get Started Page for detailed information on how to become a student.  

How do we schedule a campus visit?

The Student Outreach Office conducts student-led campus tours at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please complete and submit the Campus Visit Request Form to schedule your campus visit today!

Are there transportation options?

Transportation options are offered in the DeKalb, Rochelle and Sycamore (beginning Fall 2018) communities. Bus passes can be purchased through the Business Office. Please visit our Transportation webpage for more information. 

Are meal plans available?

Students have the opportunity to load money onto their Kish Café Kish Card to receive a 5% discount of food items in the Kish Café and cafeteria. More information on food and payment options can be found on the Cafeteria webpage

Are scholarships available?

Absolutely! Scholarships are financial awards in which students DO NOT have to pay back. A multitude of scholarships are available through the Financial Aid and Foundation offices in addition to other sources.

Is this a safe campus?

Kishwaukee College takes pride in providing a safe and secure atmosphere for students. The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Department has an office on campus that is dedicated to campus safety. Our Security webpage has the Annual Security Report, campus safety tips, and emergency resources. 

Does the College support Veteran’s?

Yes! The Financial Aid/Veteran’s Affairs Office will provide assistance and enrollment certification for veterans who wish to use their military and G I Bill® benefits at Kishwaukee College.

Is tutoring available?

The Testing & Tutoring Service Office offers FREE tutoring in more than 20 subjects. There is also a writing lab, math lab, open computer lab, and quiet study rooms for the ultimate studying experience.

Do you offer accommodations for students with disabilities?

The Disability Services office on campus provides needs-based accommodations if the correct documentation is provided. A few of the services provided in this area include extended test time, note takers, test readers, etc.

What is Placement Testing?

Kishwaukee College is an open admission institution requiring placement testing to determine a student's appropriate placement in college courses. Students must take the placement test or submit ACT / SAT scores before enrolling in English or Math courses or any courses with an English or math pre-requisite. Placement Testing can be scheduled by contacting Student Services at 815-825-9375.

Are we required to attend New Student Orientation (NSO)?

First-time students are strongly encouraged to attend a NSO session prior to attending classes at Kishwaukee College. NSO is an excellent opportunity for students to learn more about campus resources, tour campus, start making lifelong friends and meaningful connections, and begin networking on campus. Parents, guardians, and guests are also welcome to attend NSO in order to learn more on how to best support your student(s). 

What are the expenses for attending college?

Tuition is charged by credit hour. Other expenses include processing fees, student activity fees, textbooks, transportation, housing, meals, etc. 

What is a credit hour?

Each class at KC is offered for a certain number of credit hours. The amount of time spent in lectures, laboratories, and/or field experience determines the exact number of credit hours. In order to complete graduation requirements, a specific number of credit hours must be met. In addition, students are encouraged to spend approximately two hours studying outside of class for each credit hour enrolled.

How do we apply for Financial Aid?

Students must apply for financial aid every year using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA becomes available October 1 each year for the upcoming academic year. Visit the Financial Aid webpage, office or call at 815-825-9328 for more information. 

How do I purchase textbooks?

It’s simple! The Bookstore on campus provides textbooks with competitive rates for students in addition to technology, merchandise, school supplies, etc. Students have the option to rent, buy, and/or buy/sell their textbooks. Contact the Bookstore at 815-825-9445 for more information. 

Is there an attendance policy?

Students are expected to attend classes regularly. If an absence is necessary, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor and make arrangements to complete any work that was missed. Each instructor will have their own attendance policies including class participation policies outlined in the course syllabus.

What is “general education”?

General Education Requirements, sometimes referred to as “Gen Eds”, include foundational coursework that every degree-seeking transfer student must complete regardless of the transfer degree (A.A. or A.S.). The foundational knowledge these courses provide, help to increase skills necessary to succeed in any academic program such as problem solving, critical thinking, communication, etc. Refer to the academic catalog for more information. 

What does it mean to be a full-time student?

To be considered a full-time student in the fall, spring or summer semesters, students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours. Students may need to be enrolled full-time if they are participating in athletics, covered under their parent’s health insurance, receiving scholarships, or to be considered for maximum financial aid awards. 

What are the graduation requirements?

Graduation requirements vary by academic program. Students intending to graduate MUST APPLY for graduation through the Student Services office. 

Important Links