Kishwaukee College, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and its amendments, provides the following annual notice of rights accorded students under this law.
The Act established the following rights for students:
- The right to inspect and review their education records.
- The right to seek to amend education records that are believed to be inaccurate or misleading.*
- The right to demand that personally identifiable information be disclosed only with student consent, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- The right to file a complaint against the institution.
*Students in disagreement with a final course grade should follow the Grade Discrepancy Resolution process outlined in the college catalog.
Kishwaukee College will not release to any individual or agency, nor permit access to, the educational records of a student, other than directory information, without the student’s written request. The following data is hereby designated as directory information and may be disclosed or released by the College for any purpose and at its discretion:
- Telephone number
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Current enrollment status (full-time/part-time)
- Receipt or non-receipt of a degree or certificate
- Weight and height of athletic team members
Students opposed to making any part of their directory information public must complete
an opt-out form in the Student Services office and provide proof of identity. The
refusal is valid until the student notifies the Student Services office to remove
A student may give permission to a parent, guardian, or other individuals to review their record. A FERPA release waiver form is available in the Student Services office. Contact the Registrar at 815-825-9469 for FERPA-related questions.