On average, college graduates who have an internship on their resumes are 12% more likely to be hired and earn $7,000 more than graduates who did not.
– CBS News
What is an internship?
An internship gives you a unique, on-the-job perspective of the career path you have chosen and helps connect classroom knowledge to a real work environment. Internships can be paid, unpaid, for academic credit or not.
What are the benefits?
- Gain workplace experience in your field
- See how classroom education translates into the real work world
- Test-drive your career before you graduate
- Network with professionals in your field
- Connect with mentors and build references
Types of Internships
Internships for Academic Credit
Credit internships are supervised by appointed faculty members and certain criteria must be met to receive credit. A list of departments offering Academic Credit is available on Career Services myKC portal page or can be found in the Course Catalogue.
A non-credit internship is an excellent way to build your skills and experience in your field of study. Non-credit internships can be paid, unpaid or informational. The Career Services can assist you in researching and obtaining a non-credit Internship.
Internship process at KC Career Services
Basics to get started
- At least 12 credit hours or accepted into your major/program
- 2.5 GPA or higher is advisable
- Below are some questions to ask yourself:
- What do I want to get out of an Internship?
- Which types of organizations do I want to pursue?
- Do I want to stay local or willing to travel?
- Write your Résumé
- Develop your Elevator Speech
The starting process
- Complete an Internship Application
- Schedule an appointment in the Career Services, Room C1210 or call 815-825-9791
- The initial appointment will help assess your interests, goals and if it is a good fit at this time.
- Develop an Action Plan which will include:
- Preparing for an Internship
- Finding Internship Opportunities
- Support during your Internship
- Evaluation and follow-up at the end of the Internship to ensure success
What you will need for your first appointment
- Internship Application
- Résumé (If you do not have a résumé we would be happy to help you create your résumé in the Career Services prior to your appointment.)
- Examples of Internship résumés are available on Career Services myKC portal page
Additional resources for your internship search